CONFERENCE Witness deliberations on policy roadmap and other topical issues in higher education
EXHIBITION Explore partnerships opportunities, establish new contacts and promote your brand amongst higher education professionals and other stakeholders
SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES Augment your brand value by taking advantage of multiple promotional opportunities
Higher Education – Current Overview
- With over 980 Universities, 39931 Colleges, 10725 standalone institutions and 34.6 million students, the Indian HE boasts of having the largest HE system in the world in terms of institutions and second-largest in terms of enrolment. Government has set a target of 30% GER in higher education by 2020, from the current 26.5%.
- As a nation of young people, India has been bestowed with a demographic advantage – out of a population of above 1.25 billion of which 672 million i.e. almost 50% are in the age-group 15 to 59 years, which is usually treated as the ‘working age population’.
- India is expected to be the fastest growing economy touching a GDP of USD 7.5 trillion by 2030 and one of the youngest nations in the world with a median age of 32. Projections show that our country would require a gross incremental workforce of 250 million by 2030.
- The greying developed world is expected to face a skilled talent shortage of approximately 56 million by 2030 and India alone would provide 47 million skilled talent
- Private sector plays a huge role and accounts for 64% of the total number of institutions and 62% of enrolment. Over 80% of investment in professional education is done by the private sector.
- The draft National Education Policy (2019) under the chairmanship of Dr K Kasturirangan has been submitted to MHRD and the government is in the process of working towards its formalization.
- To develop a culture of rankings in India MHRD has launched “National Framework of Ranking of Universities and Colleges suited to the local conditions, circumstances and requirements. NIRF has already completed 3 successive years of ranking.
- Government has come up with a UGC Graded Autonomy Regulations (GAR) 2017 to grant graded autonomy to high performing Universities/ higher educational institutions. In the first phase, 62 universities/HEIs have been granted autonomy.
- The Government has announced the names of 20 Indian Universities/higher educational institutions as the “Institutions of Eminence” (IoE), a move to give a push Indian Universities to feature in the top 100-200 global rankings in the next 10 years.
- The government has launched the indigenously developed MOOCs platform called SWAYAM to emphasize on self-learning and increase access, equity and quality. Currently 72 MOOCs program have been designed and 43 programs are already being imparted through MOOCS. The intent is to develop more than 1000 MOOCs courses.
- To improve the quality of State universities, the Central govt has been offering Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) funding since 2013 to all state governments. The amount earmarked for three years ( 2017-2020) is USD 1 billion.
- The Govt has recently launched the “Study in India’’ program to attract international students from 30 focus countries (mostly from developing world to start with ) and have identified 15 zones in India that will developed into educational cities.
- Some of the initiatives to promote research, innovation & entrepreneurship;
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) started by the Government is to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship and serve as a platform for promotion of world-class Innovation Hubs, Grand Challenges, Start-up businesses and other self-employment activities, particularly in technology driven areas.
- IMPRINT is the first of its kind MHRD supported Pan-IIT + IISc joint initiative to address the major science and engineering challenges that India must address and champion to enable, empower and embolden the nation for inclusive growth and self-reliance.
- Deptt of Science & Technology (DST), Govt of India is in the process of setting up of Technology Enabling Centres (TEC) in Universities/HEIs to meet the growing needs of 4th Industrial revolution